Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
- I have e-Benefits
- Log in to your eBenefits account HERE.
- Select “Apply”
- Select “Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits”
- Apply for “Educational and Career Counseling”
- If it is determined that you are eligible, you will be invited to attend an orientation session at the nearest VA Regional Office
- I do not have e-Benefits
- I am not service-disabled: Open and Print VA Form 28-8832.
- I am service-disabled: Open and Print VA Form 28-1900.
- Complete and mail the form to your nearest VA Regional Office – Attention: Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment
- If it is determined that you are eligible, you will be invited to attend an orientation session at the nearest VA Regional Office.
On-The-Job Training & Apprenticeship Program
- Check out this guide for in-depth information.
- The employer and the veteran agree on a training plan of at least 6 months long, leading to new skills and new pay;
- The veteran applies to the VA for monthly educational benefits
- The employer maintains work and training records, evaluates the trainee’s progress, agrees to at least one wage increase during the training period, and certifies the trainee’s hours to the VA each month (Employer Tool KIt).
Employment Resources for Louisiana Veterans
- State of Louisiana – http://www.jobs.louisiana.gov/Veterans/VeteransInfo.aspx
- Louisiana Workforce Commission – http://www.laworks.net
- Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs – https://www.vetaffairs.la.gov/benefit-category/employment-vocational-training
Veteran Entrepreneur Portal – https://www.va.gov/osdbu/entrepreneur/index.asp
Small Business Administration Resources – https://www.sba.gov/business-guide/grow/veteran-owned-businesses-programs
Boots to Business – https://www.sba.gov/offices/headquarters/ovbd/resources/160511
Louisiana Veteran Entrepreneurship Program
The Louisiana Veteran Entrepreneurship Program, a partnership between Louisiana Economic Development, the Louisiana Department of Veteran Affairs, the Louisiana National Guard, the Louisiana Business & Technology Center and LSU Executive Education is a program designed to boost business opportunities for Louisiana veterans. Learn more at the Louisiana Economic Development website.
Louisiana Veteran Initiative (LAVETBIZ)
Louisiana’s Veteran Initiative (LAVETBIZ) is a certification program that is designed to help eligible Louisiana Veteran-owned and Service-Connected Disabled-Veteran-owned small businesses gain greater access to purchasing and contracting opportunities that are available at the state government level. Learn more here.