WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Clay Higgins (R-LA), the top Republican on the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Border Security, issued the following statement on the Biden administration’s expected termination of Title 42 authority. Title 42 was enacted under President Trump and allowed migrants to be expelled immediately due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Ending Title 42 is a grave mistake. This is the worst border crisis in our nation’s history, and the Biden administration is about to make it even worse by doubling down on their failed policies. Terminating Title 42 authority is an open invitation to cartel criminals. It’s insane to further weaken our already crumbled border security. The Biden border policy is incredibly ignorant. The iPOTUS is intentionally jeopardizing the sovereignty and security of our nation. We support legislation that preserves Title 42 and the Democrat majority should allow it to come to a vote. When Republicans are sworn into the majority in Congress in January 2023, the Biden administration will be held to account.”
Key facts about the border crisis:
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) had 164,973 migrant encounters along the Southwest Border in February 2022.
- Only five months into Fiscal Year 2022, CBP has already had 967,743 nationwide encounters, including both the Southwest and Northern Land Borders.
- February was the 12th straight month with more than 150,000 encounters – a trend never before recorded.
- In the first five months of Fiscal Year 2022, CBP has already arrested 11,209 individuals with criminal convictions and 260 known gang members, including 102 members of MS-13.
- Cocaine seizures increased by 83 percent, methamphetamine seizures increased by 97 percent, and heroin seizures increased by 173 percent compared to January 2022.