Internship positions in the Office of Congressman Clay Higgins give college students the opportunity to gain valuable skills and insight into the daily functions of a congressional office. Students will assist staff with daily tasks, including but not limited to front office duties, Capitol tours, legislative research, and media outreach. Internships are unpaid, but college credit may be available.
- Each intern will assist the Staff Assistant with the general daily operations of the office, including greeting visitors, answering telephones, giving Capitol tours, and other daily activities.
- Each intern will have an opportunity to work with a legislative staff member on such duties as legislative research, responding to constituent mail, and meeting/hearing preparation.
- Each intern will have an opportunity to work with the Press Secretary on media outreach, preparing press releases, social media, and videography.
- Each intern will shadow Representative Higgins for at least one day when the House is in session.
Our office offers internship opportunities in the Washington D.C. office during the spring, summer, and fall semesters. You may complete the application form at the bottom of this page, or you may mail a printed application and supplemental materials to our office. To be considered for an internship, your application must include:
- Internship Application Form (download and print the form here)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (at least one from a professor)
- A Recent Writing Sample (class assignments no longer than two pages are preferred)
**To be eligible for an internship, applicants must be 21 years of age before the start date of the internship.
Dates & Deadlines
Once your application has been received, you will be contacted via email regarding our interview process.
Summer I (May 29, 2017 - June 30, 2017)
Application Deadline: April 14, 2017
Summer II (July 3, 2017 - August 4, 2017)
Application Deadline: May 15, 2017
Fall (August 21, 2017 - December 1, 2017)
Application Deadline: June 15, 2017
Spring (January 2018 - May 2018)
Application Deadline: October 15, 2017