Hurricane Laura Disaster Resources
Information on disaster resources and assistance is below.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) | https://www.fema.gov/
- Follow @FEMA and @FEMARegion6 on Twitter for updates.
- 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)
- Apply Online: https://www.disasterassistance.gov/
- Churches can apply for FEMA Public Assistance at http://louisianapa.com/.
- Drive-Thru Disaster Recovery Centers
- Residents can visit Drive-Thru DRCs to have disaster application documents scanned into their case file or ask questions about federal disaster assistance.
- Calcasieu Parish School Board, 3310 Broad St, Lake Charles, LA 70615 (Open 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM daily)
- Sulphur Regional Library, 1160 Cypress St, Sulphur, LA 70663 (Open 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM daily)
- Cameron Prairie National Wildlife Center, 1428 Highway 27, Bell City, LA 70630 (open 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM daily)
- LSU Ag Center, 1105 West Port St, Abbeville, LA 70510 (Open 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM daily)
- Monroe Civic Center, 401 Lea Joyner Expwy, Monroe, LA 71202 (Open 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM daily)
- Independence Stadium, 3301 Pershing Blvd, Shreveport, LA 71109 (Open 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM daily)
- Vernon Sheriff's Office, 1203 S 4th St, Leesville, LA (Open 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM daily)
- Sabine Parish Courthouse, 400 S Capital, Many, LA (Open 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM daily)
- Mobile Registration Intake Centers:
- Locations and hours of operation can be found here: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4559
- Let FEMA know if you disagree with your Home Repair Grant amount
- Understand FEMA determination letters, how to appeal them
- Learn more about why you might have been found ineligible, how to appeal
Small Business Assistance
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) | https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/disaster-assistance
- Virtual Business Recovery Center and Virtual Disaster Loan Outreach Center
- Monday – Sunday from 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM ET
Disaster SNAP & Unemployment Assistance
- Register for Disaster SNAP Benefits: http://www.dcfs.louisiana.gov/page/360
- The deadline to apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance varies depending on where you live. Residents who lost or had interrupted employment as result of Hurricane Laura may apply with Louisiana Workforce Commission at www.laworks.net or call 1-866-783-5567. The deadline to apply in Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, Jefferson Davis, and Vernon parishes is Sept.30; in Acadia, Grant, Jackson, Lincoln, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Sabine, Vermilion, and Winn parishes survivors must file by Oct. 2, Morehouse and Union parishes must file by Oct. 12, and Caddo, La Salle, and St. Landry parishes have until Oct. 14.
Operation Blue Roof
- Homeowners must sign a Right-of-Entry request allowing access to their property to perform an assessment, and if warranted, install a temporary roof.
- To register, call 1-888-ROOF-BLU (1-888-766-3258) or sign up at https://blue-roof-online-signup-usace.hub.arcgis.com/.
- The deadline to sign up is September 30, 2020.
National Flood Insurance Program
- Contact your insurance agent to report your loss. If you can't remember the name or number of the insurance company that services your FEMA flood policy, call the NFIP at 877-336-2627 to find out or email email@example.com.
Emergency Shelter Information
Louisiana residents in need of emergency shelter should text LASHELTER to 898-211 for information on where to go.
To find information about emergency shelters in the surrounding region, visit https://www.disasterassistance.gov/information/immediate-needs/emergency-shelter.
Governor's Office of Homeland Security | http://gohsep.la.gov/ | 225.925.7500
- Damage Assessment & Cleanup Efforts
- Follow local guidance on returning safely to assess property damage.
- Capture pictures and videos of damaged homes, vehicles, and property.
- Prevent further damage by making temporary repairs.
- Save receipts for tarps and materials to prevent more damage.
- More information on how to sort debris for removal: https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuParishPoliceJury/photos/a.192873380735278/3436228016399782
- Preventing Injury After Storms
- Never use generators, power washers, grills, or other gasoline-burning devices inside your home.
- Wear appropriate equipment and exercise caution when using a chainsaw.
- Avoid contact with power lines regardless of if they are on the ground or intact.
- Be aware of the potential for hazardous materials.
- Food & Water Safety
- Get rid of food that is in an open, damaged, or bulging can; has an abnormal smell, color, or texture; or needs to be refrigerated but has risen above 40 degrees.
- Clean off cans that came into contact with any flood water.
- Ask local officials about local water safety, and heed any boil advisories.
- Avoiding Potential Scams
- Verify potential contractors by contacting the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors at (800)-256-1392 or http://www.lslbc.louisiana.gov/mobile-app/.
- Beware of price gouging and report any findings to Attorney General Landry’s Consumer Protection hotline at (800) 351-4889 and to your local Sheriff or DA.
- Verify people posing as government officials or insurance adjusters by asking for proper identification.
- Be cautious of fake charities and verify them at www.guidestar.org.